3/7/2017 UPDATE: A commenter made some nice updates to both the translation and the geometry of the project. Be sure to read Martin’s comments below.
1/2/2014 UPDATE: After some interest from other folks in this project, I’m sharing all of my final Solidworks files. I’ve talked with the original sponsor and he has agreed to release them. You can download a zip file here. The files are organized by part. All of the final drawings and parts are annotated with “_finished” in the filename. Some of the original scans are also included.
3/31/2013 UPDATE: A kind reader has found the original drawings in a model airplane magazine from 1964. I’ve included the PDF below in the Resources section. The blue prints are on pages 17-18. It is interesting to note that the model was submitted as an entry to a contest to generate an epitrochoidal engine (an epicycloid is a type of epitrochoid). However, as I show below, the chamber isn’t an epicycloid.
I have been contracted to convert the SW92 Wankel rotary engine from its original 1950’s paper format (in German) to electronic format (in English). I am utilizing Solidworks 2005 to reconstruct 13 of the 36 pieces included in the blueprints. Furthermore, I am relying on a tremendous effort from MacField Young to perform most of the German to English translations. The sole purposes of this blog entry are to communicate with my contractor, to document my progress, and relay certain concerns. In other words, this entry is
a work in progress finished!.
Continue reading “Wankel Rotary Engine CAD conversion”
As a Christmas present, I decided to dye and paint a pair of shoes for my sister. I wanted them to match some clothes I bought her for her birthday. I also knew that I liked the Van’s Prison Issue #23 shoe (which I bought from Abbadabba’s), so I bought RIT Fabric Dye and generic fabric paint. The canvas/rubber combination of the shoe served as the perfect setup to add color without loosing the white soles. I started with the buff white / true white shoe, dyed it pink, and painted-on white flowers.
Continue reading “DIY: Shoes, Dye and Paint”
8/18/2012 UPDATE: From the comments, Andy pointed out that I had a mistake in my calculations. In the c_total equation, I should have divided by 1000, instead of multiplying by 1000. After he pointed this out, I checked the java script code as well. I had made an even more egregious mistake there. I had correctly divided by 1000 but I also had divided by power cost (dollars per kilowatt hour). I’ve now fixed the equation and the script. I also regenerated the results from the examples.
I am slowly upgrading the incandescent light bulbs in my house with more efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs. However the higher purchase price of the new bulbs has me wondering if they are actually “worth it.” I also thought whether an even more efficient type of bulb, perhaps an LED light bulb, would be better.
So, I set out to determine a value which would best quantify the “worth” of different bulbs and rank each based on this value.
Continue reading “Light Bulb Efficiency Calculator”
When I found out that my roommates and I would eventually have to move out of our West 14th Street loft, I began exploring different buildings around Atlanta. My hope was that I would find another historic space that would provide us with a similar atmosphere and lifestyle. I realized that with so many buildings to keep track of, I needed to compile a list complete with pictures, maps, descriptions, etc. I collected possible buildings as I rode around the city on my daily commute or sometimes I would explore with the intent of finding new places. I was specifically looking for late 19th and early 20th century industrial/commercial buildings. These were exclusively brick-and-mortar buildings, most of which served as infrastructure to Atlanta’s vast railway lines. I furthermore became interested in finding and cataloging some of Atlanta’s different neighborhoods and districts.
My list is horribly incomplete and only contains buildings which I, myself, have seen and photographed. I recorded the street address and then performed a Google search to find information about the availablity of each building. When possible I include a description of the building, its current status, and what I think is the correct name of the building. Those with the most appealing location and amenities are denoted with a red star.
Even though we have now found a place to live, I plan to continue to fill in this list including more detailed pictures and descriptions and expand it as I discover new structures around Atlanta.
I created a Solidworks model of the Peaucellier-Lipkin linkage to better visualize the kinematics of the linkage and to document my Solidworks CAD capabilities. I modeled several parts: pins, links, and brackets. The brackets have zero degrees of freedom to simulate being secured to the ground. The links are of lengths 50, 75, and 150mm from axis to axis.
I also generated a .gif animation to show the pure translation of the end joint (shown as the red pin). I have posted here all of the CAD files.
(7-Zip of complete SolidWorks parts and assembly)